I don't remember what caused me to think of it... a memory that has been tucked away, for at least twenty years. It's funny how things just pop back into one's mind, when least expected.
Everyone wants to be accepted. Everyone wants to feel wanted. Everyone needs a friend. In those ways we are not so very different.
A group of friends. Laughing and dancing. Being silly. Being young.
One friend's brother sat in a wheelchair. An accident had taken away his ability to walk...ever again.
He wanted to dance.
He didn't think anyone would want to dance with him...because his legs didn't work. Because he was different. Because of fear.
He shyly looked at me. Will you dance with me?
"Yes", I replied in youthful exuberance , "let's go".
I sat on his lap, wrapped an arm around his neck and off we went. We rolled, and rocked, and spun in dizzying circles.
We laughed out loud.
After the song, we rolled to a stop. We were out of breath from laughing and spinning.
He thanked me for dancing with him.
And I thanked him for asking.
That night I learned a valuable lesson.
Take a chance. Don't let fear stop you from asking. Don't worry about what others might be thinking.
And enjoy the dance.
- Wheelchair protester Jody McIntyre on 'schizophrenic lunatic' Israel (thejc.com)
- Halloween Costumes for Special Needs Children in Wheelchairs (dreammom.blogspot.com)
- 2010-Best Toys and Gifts for Special Needs Children (dreammom.blogspot.com)
- Wheelchair Ministry: (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- JAL wheelchair doesn't trip up metal detectors (search.japantimes.co.jp)
- Girl's stolen wheelchair damaged (bbc.co.uk)
- "Lil Wayne Purchases Motorized Wheelchair For Fanâ€™s Mom" and related posts (hiphop.popcrunch.com)
- It's Now Official: Online Dance Company is Going to Offer Continual Hip Hop Dance Education Online in January 2011 (prweb.com)
- Sewn Together: Line Dancing (weddingbee.com)
- Dancing in Seattle at 8pm (ask.metafilter.com)
- Trailer For Paula Abdul Dance Show "Live To Dance" [Series Premiere Jan. 4] (popcrunch.com)