As I was getting ready this morning, a thought struck me. I don't know why this particular thing hit me, on this particular morning....but, it did.
I'll be 52 then.
That's all true...but, what really hit me is that my kids will be gone. Gone. Gulp.
I talk a lot about my teens. How they are loud, funny, stinky, cute, silly, intelligent, serious, and all around goof balls. I sing the joy of the "empty nest". And yes, I do think I will enjoy that part of life.
Just not today. I practically burst into tears thinking that 10 years from now I will have two 25 year olds and a 29 year old. Sniff.
I really don't have that much time left.Truth be told...they are almost to adulthood right now.
And I will miss them.
My 15 year old son was just 5, ten years ago. A mere baby. A kindergartner. We had just buried his father the month before. He dealt with a lot for only being 5. I think back over the last 10 years and how quickly time has gone by.
Then I think of how quickly the next 10 years will go by...
Graduation, college, jobs, career, marriage....maybe even grand babies.
I don't know if I'm ready for the next 10 years.
I want time to slow down for a little while. Please?
More time for holding them close, more time for hugs, and kisses.....More time for goofiness before the responsibilities of life set in....More time of just being together.
- Waiting on the Teenage Brain (parenting.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Just another typical day as a typical teenager - Perth, Australia (travelpod.com)
- The Case of the School Bus, the Stop Sign and the Missing 'At' (blogs.wsj.com)
- Loud, But Not Deafeningly Loud (technologizer.com)
- Teenagers want to be taught about family values in sex education classes (dailymail.co.uk)
- Demolition Company Fined after Teenage Worker Partially Blinded (first4lawyers.com)