Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Classic Films Collection



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]Cropped screenshot of James Stewart and Margar...[/caption]


I watched two classic movies as I wrapped gifts yesterday. I have yet to be able to just sit down and watch a movie without being "productive" with my time.  There is never enough time in a day! The first movie was The Shop Around The Corner. (Margaret Sullivan, Jimmy Stewart). I love the old, black and white movies. I really do. I don't know if it is the simple scenery, the fact that everyone is dressed so beautifully, or that a movie can be interesting without any offensive language or suggestive situations. Sigh. It was just a different time. The Shop Around The Corner pretty much took place in  the store...so there wasn't a lot of scenery, but what a great movie! (the movie You've Got Mail starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks is a take off of this movie)  Speaking of scenery, I have a keen eye for all the props. The old cash registers, cigarette boxes, ladies' hats, and how store windows used to be "dressed" for the holidays.

Then I watched Christmas In Connecticut starring Barbara Stanwyck. It is sort of  a comical Good Housekeeping, circa Christmas 1945. Snow, a navy man, sleigh rides, and a farm in Connecticut. Who wouldn't fall in love?

Today I am working on my laundry. What can I watch in between loads of whites and colors? Maybe It's A Wonderful Life? (side note: google Jimmy Stewart discussing It's A Wonderful Life. It was in a 1977 interview. It will give you a new perspective about this movie. Seriously, you should check it out.) Or Miracle On 34th Street--the 1947 version, of course!

Well, I better go. I heard the dryer just buzz. Time for another load.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I love the old movies, too. The simplicity of life! I remember as a child the old cash registers and going "downtown" to shop and NOT to a mall.. just something special about it all.

    The 1947 version Miracle on 34th Street is my favorite, too.
    Merry Christmas and thanks for the reminder of the simplicity in Christmas!

    ReplyDelete