Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Being The Hands And Feet Of Jesus



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]Jesus[/caption]


As a Christian it is important to not only "talk the talk" but, "walk the walk". Sadly, there are people who call themselves Christians, who have alienated those around them. They religiously do the "ritual" but, totally miss the relationship. This quote is funny and unfortunately so true, "Going to church and sitting in a pew doesn't make you a Christian...anymore than going and sitting in your garage makes you a car."  If someone is truly a Christian, he/she carries the name of Christ in that name. I know I am not perfect, but it is my desire, and what I strive for...to be more like Jesus.

In a world full of people who are in need, in pain, questioning and searching---I can be the "hands and feet" of Christ. I can reach out to others in love. Not because I am perfect. I am the farthest thing from perfect. Really. Not for self gratification or personal glory, nor fame or fortune. Only because God is good. That He would choose to use me, even in a small way is both humbling and extraordinary.

"Come you who are blessed by my Father....for I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." ....."I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."  (Matthew 25:31-46)

Read those verses again. They are profound.

It is not easy. I'm not saying it is. I tend towards selfishness. Most of us do. It's easier to look the other way, than to see the scruffy guy on the street who hasn't bathed in weeks. It's too painful to watch the dying. Holding a hand is hard when the body is riddled with cancer, or one has to look  into the eyes of an Alzheimer's patient. The guy sitting in prison deserves it. He did bad things. He doesn't deserve visits. He should rot. Right? Our human nature is repelled by these situations.

And yet..... What would Jesus do? What am I called to do because I carry His name with me?  He told me what He expects. Whatever I do to those that are helpless, poor, widowed, orphaned, hurt, destroyed, hardened, and heartbroken....I have done it to HIM.

Forgive me Lord. I fail so many times.  Help me to have YOUR eyes. To see others as YOU see them.

Help me to be more like YOU.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment