Monday, October 4, 2010

Back In The Day



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]Radio cassette player[/caption]


I'm in my early 40's. Not old. Yet. Although, a lot has happened since I was a kid.

1. I remember having one phone--IN THE WHOLE HOUSE.

2. It was rotary. It hung on the kitchen wall.

3. And NO answering machine.

4. If someone called and we weren't home...oh, well.

5. We didn't have a microwave.

6. We warmed up stuff on the stove, or in the oven.

7. My Mammaw was the first person I knew to get a microwave.

8. It was HUGE.

9. She tried it out by putting a hot dog in to cook---FOR FIVE MINUTES.

10. It exploded.

11. Opps.

12. There were no such things as personal computers when I was a kid.

13. I had to use the phone if I wanted to talk with someone.

14. Or go to the library for information (and the information wasn't on a Kindle or Ipad)

15. Imagine that.

16. MP3 players...what were those?

17. I had a cassette player.

18. Cassettes were what music came on.

19. And one had to worry about having their tapes eaten up by the machine.

20. In my younger days, records were becoming obsolete.

21. Didn't have VCR's, much less DVD players, no such thing as Blu-Ray.

22. If we wanted to watch a movie, my family went to a theater.

23. We watched the three main channels and a few other fuzzy ones on the TV, if we were lucky.

24. People had antennas on their houses in the 70's.

25. Cable didn't come until much, much later.

26. My kids have absolutely no idea what life is like without the "modern conveniences".

27.  Sometimes this worries me.

28. Because they don't (can't?)  really appreciate what they have.

29. Who knows what it will be like when they are adults?

30. Maybe they'll all be living in a virtual world by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment