Friday, May 13, 2011

Vintage With A Twist

Sometimes I wonder if I wasn't born in the wrong decade...

*I enjoy watching reruns of The Walton's and their TV lives, circa 1930's.

*I recently bought a 1934 radio reproduction at a local antiques store. I absolutely love it.



*I think some of the best movies ever filmed were in the 30's and 40's.



*I have vintage aprons hanging in my kitchen, that I use.



*Some of my best recipes come from a cookbook entitled New Recipes For Good Eating, circa 1948.



*Buying Christmas ornaments from Woolworth's Five and Dime store... when stores were small and local.

* I love reading Reminisce magazine from cover to cover.

Sigh.

Before anyone tells me that those two decades were difficult...not fun...and that if I lived in those decades I'd be in my 70's and 80's now.....forget it. You are not changing my mind.

I know. I know. The Great Depression. World War II. Hard times.  All true, but there was something about that time period...it seems like people pulled together. They were proud to be American. People were happy with a simpler lifestyle. Neighbors knew who you were. ....At least more than in today's society.

*****************************************************************************

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."  Casablanca (1941)

"Some day you'll learn that greatness is only the seizing of opportunity - clutching with your bare hands 'til the knuckles show white."

National Velvet (1944)

"Oh, my Dear Friend, my heart was trembling as I walked into the post office, and there you were, lying in Box 237. I took you out of your envelope and read you, read you right there."  The Shop Around The Corner  (1940)

"The time to make up your mind about people is never."  The Philadelphia Story (1940)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you feel about reincarnation, when we're drawn to a place on the globe or a time period, it's because we've just been there, and it's what's familiar. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete