I heard the rain and wind last night
Only semi-awake in the dark of the night
A fleeting thought of stormy weather
As I changed my sleeping position
I woke to the early morning news of more people hurt
more buildings demolished
more lives destroyed
more people gone...just gone
never to return
Those who have lost so much in the deadly winds
Why them? Why not me?
Is it right for me to give thanks on this Monday, when so many are hurting? Lost? Devastated?
I quietly sit at the table
and stare at my computer screen.
Images from the news seared into my thoughts
My heart aches.
*thankful that more people weren't hurt or injured
*for friends and neighbors who reach out their hands
*for those who come to help
*for the human spirit
*for not giving up
*for pressing on
*for trying one more time
*for God, who is still there
Some of us have not gone through the utter devastation of a tornado, but we have lost loved ones. Some of us have never huddled through the howling winds, but we have huddled in fear of losing everything from job loss. Some of us have never watched as our house was torn apart, but we understand fire, floods, or theft. We haven't stood in terror watching the storm approach, but we understand the terror of a deadly diagnosis.
Storms of life come in all shapes and sizes.
I am thankful that God loves us, that He cares for us through ALL of life's storms.
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:2 NIV
What are some things you are thankful for this Monday?
- Peace in the Midst of the Storm (notsoperfectpw.wordpress.com)
- "Weathering the Storm" Part 1 (vickypuckett.com)
- Chris' Monday Morning Weather Briefing 5/23/11 (chrisallenchallenge.wordpress.com)
- The real storm (pastortimfowler.wordpress.com)
- Deadly tornado tears through the US Midwest (independent.co.uk)
- Deadly tornado tears into US city (bbc.co.uk)
- Hail, Strong Winds, & More Tornadoes (weatherwatch12.wordpress.com)
- In Midst Of The Rubble Light Your Light Shine (aprilhawk.wordpress.com)
- Struggle well.... (trishborgdorff.wordpress.com)