Monday, May 23, 2011

Giving Thanks In The Midst Of



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]Category F5 tornado (upgraded from initial est...[/caption]


I heard the rain and wind last night

Only semi-awake in the dark of the night

A fleeting thought of stormy weather

As I changed my sleeping position

I woke to the early morning news of more people hurt

more buildings demolished

more lives destroyed

more people gone...just gone

never to return

Those who have lost so much in the deadly winds

Why them? Why not me?

Is it right for me to give thanks on this Monday, when so many are hurting? Lost? Devastated?

I quietly sit at the table

and stare at my computer screen.

Images from the news seared into my thoughts

My heart aches.

*thankful that more people weren't hurt or injured

*for friends and neighbors who reach out their hands

*for those who come to help

*for the human spirit

*for not giving up

*for pressing on

*for trying one more time

*for surviving

*for God, who is still there

Some of us have not gone through the utter devastation of a tornado, but we have lost loved ones. Some of us have never huddled through the howling winds, but we have huddled in fear of losing everything from job loss. Some of us have never watched as our house was torn apart, but we understand fire, floods, or theft. We haven't stood in terror watching the storm approach, but we understand the terror of a deadly diagnosis.

Storms of life come in all shapes and sizes.

I am thankful that God loves us, that He cares for us through ALL of life's storms.

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  Psalm 18:2 NIV

What are some things you are thankful for this Monday?




3 comments:

  1. Thankful for waking up this morning. Thankful I have food to eat and a home with a loving husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you mention this. I too pondered the Missouri tornado's. Praying for those hurt and missing...and for those who have to find them. What a scene it was. We are seeing prophesy right before our eyes and like the believers of Jesus day we are saying " Is this really what is going on ? " And in reality we still keep asking. Like we aren't sure.. But the book says yes, yes it is happening...we are witnesses to the end of an age, era, and a new time.. yet still so many deny. Earthquakes, volcano eruptions, fires,floods, tornado's , wars, rumors of wars... and famine. Exciting times... I am more aware than ever many we love will be left behind. Have we talked to them about it ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Giving Thanks In The Midst Of (gibsongirl247.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete