Thursday, May 19, 2011

I Quit



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="105" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]Quit It[/caption]


Today at Faith Barista we are discussing--- To quit or not to quit.  Share your thoughts or experience on quitting something or not quitting something.


FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG


I don't consider myself a quitter. It's not a word that describes who I am.

If I've started something, I will finish it. Or at least give it a very good try.

But....

I'm quitting.

Yes, you heard me.

*I'm quitting...the fear of not measuring up

*I'm quitting...the paralyzing grip of perfection

*I'm quitting...the thinking that I am in control

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7  NIV

I'll stop worrying about what others might think of me. The truth is, most people are too busy worrying about their own stuff to think about me. I don't mean that in a bad way. I have many people in this life, that love me dearly and care for me without regret. I just mean, they don't really care if I'm wearing yoga pants today instead of khaki's. Or if I fix the same meal, twice in one week, or  if I don't sweep up all the dog fur from under the dining room table where it gets trapped like tumbleweeds in the desert.

I'll stop worrying if my house isn't like a picture out of House Beautiful. Perfection does not mean, not messy. People live here... 24 hours a day. We work from home, and school at home, and love at home. All those things don't fit in my nice containers. (Even if those containers are the cutest things ever!) As the keeper of the home, the house is a reflection on me....may it reflect a family that lives with and loves each other.

I'll stop believing that all my plans in life will work out perfectly. Life is fragile, and I'm fooling myself if I ever thought for one second that I was the one in control.

My life is not my own. It is Christ who lives in me.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galations 2:20 NIV

And all I do is for that audience of One.




5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on Quitting. I completely understand. But don't give up completely on striving for your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfection does not mean not messy! I love that!! Because in a small apartment with four little children, there's always messy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so good. There ARE things we need to quit. I need to quit those things too. Thanks for the grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The audience of One - yes! So true. It feels good to quit the things you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dawn, you've shared some wise words here, from such a personal place. I love how your post is so life-giving. It's the truth - these struggles you've shared and the freedom we can grow into more and more. But, it doesn't change the beauty of who we are in Christ. What a great top 3 things to quit!

    ReplyDelete