Saturday, January 10, 2009

What's Your Alarm Clock Personality?

At my house we have alarm clock personalities. Now, you might ask what in the world is that?
Each of us is different when it comes to getting up in the morning. Each of us greets the day in our own "unique" way.

1. Mom (that would be me) I have a "Smart" clock. It sets itself through some satellite thingy...don't ask me the details...I got it at Walmart. It scared me at first because I didn't understand how, when I got it home, all I did was plug it in and it set itself to the correct time. How did it know??? A little unsettling. It is a good clock and has an excellent annoying whine when the alarm goes off. The only down side is that when the time change, changed to a week or so later then what it used to be, my smart clock didn't know it....and there is no way to fix it. So for a few weeks each year in the Fall and Spring I have to put up with the wrong time, until it catches up. This clock fits me...I always feel like I'm trying to catch up too.

2. My husband pretty much is a cell phone alarm clock person. He sets his phone and it has an annoying beep when it goes off in the morning. He usually turns it off and does not get up right away.....unless I'm already up and bring him coffee. He said the smell of coffee is better than any alarm.

3. My oldest son sleeps like the dead. I have literally jumped on top of him in the morning, yelling at the top of my lungs and shaking him and he barely moves. To say he is a heavy sleeper is an understatement. The boy could sleep through WWW III. I bought him an alarm clock recently with a propeller on top. This is how it works....When the alarm goes off the propeller shoots off across the room. The alarm will NOT go off until the propeller is found and is placed back on the clock. The hope is that the alarm is annoying enough, that my son will be forced to get out of bed to find the propeller gizmo to turn it off. This gets him up and moving around. That is the plan anyway.

4. My other son is much better about getting up. He sets his alarm and will actually get up when it goes off. He has an alarm clock that has different settings. Does he want to wake to the sound of a rooster crowing? A waterfall in the Amazon? or seagulls at the ocean? Or he could just go with the regular boring buzzer. It depends on his mood. Oh the choices!

5. Lastly, there is my daughter. She also has some trouble getting up and moving in the morning. She is bad about just turning her little alarm clock off. So....the other day I let her borrow my old fashioned alarm clock. The kind with the big bells on top with the little hammer that goes back and forth banging on them. She has to wind it up every night and set the alarm. She sets it on the dresser away from her bed so she is forced to get up. The clock is loud enough to wake the dead. I'm not kidding. I'm sure there are some residents of the cemetery down the road that are curious what that noise is around 8:30 each morning that disturbs their eternal rest.

Oh, the fun of getting up in the morning!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment