Saturday, January 3, 2009

Things I've Learned...

There are things that I've learned in this house building process..... I feel compelled to share my vast knowledge of building our house. (those of you that know me, know what a joke that actually is!)
My top 10 list of things I've learned
1. One will never finish on time...or at least the time YOU thought you'd be in the house. (I went from optimism in the beginning...then nervousness about when we'd actually be IN, to finally, "well, we'll get in sometime this year, right? Right? RIGHT???!!!!)
2.Building a house in the winter is cold. A house with no heat is no fun. (I am forced to jog around the inside of the house to keep warm)...and when my husband says, "It's not that cold", I want to smack him.
3.It does not matter how much "cleaning up" one does. Dust is your friend when building. Embrace it.
4.One tends to get excited over the smallest things. "We have a door knob! It's the most beautiful door knob I've ever seen!" I now appreciate the small things.
5.I found out that toilets can be very interesting. (Okay..so I might be lying) But I have done research on whether or not a toilet is a "10" or an "8". We are going for the 10. After all I am all about a good flush. Non of these mamby pamby energy saving toilets for me.
6. Staining doors at 30 degrees in an unheated house is not optimum, but one learns to deal with it and just go with the flow....or in the case of cold stain...No flow. (Yes, I learned that the hard way.)
7. Buying a warm, furry ear flap hat is a MUST. I don't care if I look like a Russian diva in my furry hat. My ears are warm!
8. Building a house allows one to make friends. We've gotten to know all the people working on our house. They might find us strange...but I think we've kind of grown on them. I'm going with that.
9. Building a house together makes ones marriage stronger....because no one else understands the ups and downs of bank draws, trips to Home Depot, and the beauty of a job well done like the two of you that are going through it TOGETHER.
10. God has blessed us more then we deserve and for that we are unbelievably thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment