Sunday, January 25, 2009

Best Small Towns

I just received my latest edition of Southern Living magazine. There is an article about the best small towns in the south. You know I have a sweet spot for the south since I've spent the past 22 years of my life here in Tennessee. Yes, when I first was "transplanted" I was considered "a yankee". I could live with that...and after awhile I became one of them. Living in the Tennessee Valley, in the eastern part of the state, in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains....it's beautiful here that is for sure. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge TN. are considered a primo family destination. All that fun right in my own backyard!
One of the best small towns in the south is right over the mountains from here...Blowing Rock, N.C. I've always wanted to go there and visit. I've heard great things from my friends. Rumour has it that it is also the the town that Jan Karon's Mitford Series is set in. (One of my all time favorite series and one that I highly recommend!) Now, I've been to Savannah, Georgia and I've been to Mrytle Beach, South Carolina but I really want to go to Charleston. Southern Living says that Charleston is one of the top five cities for a weekend getaway. I love history so I think that would be an extremely fun trip.
Those of you that keep up with my blog know that several days back I did a series on my "Bucket List". One of the things I want to do before I (some day) kick the bucket is to visit all 50 states. I know I have readers from all over the country and all over the world. I would love for you...my readers, to tell me where you live and what makes your home town special. Should I visit your town in my travels? Is your town exciting and never sleeps? Is your town quiet with the best home made ice cream around? Are the buildings in your town historical and tell a story? Or do you live somewhere new and cutting edge? Seriously people....let me know! Magazines are great and travel books are inviting, but I'd love to hear what you think about your own home town. Please leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment