Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Bucket List --Part 1

Most people like to believe that they will live a long life....that there will be more good times then bad....that they will accomplish positive things and that they will leave this life peacefully. Sometimes that happens and sometimes not. No one knows for sure...and that is what makes life, and death for that matter, so scary. Even though I am a Christian and know I will be in the presence of the Lord when I die, the "not knowing" the details of that can be unsettling.
Most of us, and I am no exception, go through life thinking that we will have many tomorrows to work on our projects, to write the letter that needs to be written, to say the words that need to be said, to travel and see the sights, to hold a hand, or to help someone. I know for me, there are times when I've held back and not done things I would have liked to have done because of fear. Fear of failure, fear of what others would think of me, fear of the unknown. As I've gotten older, I've come to realize more that fear is normal and it can be overcome if I just step out of my comfort zone once in a while.
We think we will watch our children grow up, enjoy our retirement and live until we see a head of white hair, and deeply etched wrinkles when we look in the mirror. But alas, time is a gift, and not everyone has the gift of a long life....but everyone CAN have the gift of a life well lived whether that is a few hours on this Earth or whether it is celebrating a centennial birthday.
Now I can only speak for myself.....my bucket list will be different from others for sure. The things that are important to me might not be as important to others. That is okay. Each of us has but one life to live, and God has put us here, at this time, for a purpose. Each life counts. No one is forgotten.

Tomorrow I will write Part 2 of My Bucket List.

No comments:

Post a Comment