Monday, September 6, 2010

Things Begin To Fall Apart



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="205" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]Aging with Dignity Logo[/caption]


I would like to know where it says in the book of aging, what falls apart...and when. I don't like to be blindsided by these things.

For someone who has been fairly healthy her whole life, never spent a day in the hospital aside from giving birth, things have kind of been going south since I turned 40, a mere 2 years ago.

My latest "issue" is a pulled muscle in my back. I have no earthly idea how I managed this. I really don't. And yet here I am, in pain. Unable to use my left arm and shoulder. This stinks. Do you know  how hard it is to pull a shirt or dress over one's head when said person can not lift an arm? I had to swallow my pride and have my husband help me get out of my church dress yesterday. I got it half way off and realized I was stuck. Wriggling out of the dress caused shooting pains in my back. So, here I was standing in our walk in closet, bent over with a dress hanging off my shoulders and head. Where is the dignity in this? I gave up and said, " Um....sweetheart....could you come here? I need help." Bless  my husband's heart. He didn't laugh. (Which I know he probably would have liked to do) His only question was, "Is there a zipper or buttons on this dress?" My muffled reply was, "NO. Just pull it over my head!" The whole time I'm thinking to myself, "Who was the dumb bunny that decided on this dress this morning, knowing that I couldn't lift my arm very well?" Duh. Sometimes I wonder about myself.

Today I am taking it easy...and making sure to wear something with buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment