Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Total Mole Kind Of A Night

Sometimes the weather can be a real pain. The local news told me yesterday afternoon to hunker down there was a storm coming. "Okay", I said to myself. I started getting dinner ready at 3:30 in the afternoon. I tried to be prepared. I guess the storm didn't get the memo. It came early and our electricity went off. The potatoes I had baking in the oven weren't even close to being done, unless you think chiseling away at a potato "rock" sounds done. Couldn't really open the refrigerator because I didn't want to let the cold air out...and had no idea how long the power would be off. So now the family couldn't eat dinner...we were hungry and walking around the house like moles. Well, we had a little light at first (though the storm made it dark outside) but soon after the light we did have, left us. Out came the candles and flashlights. At first it was alright. Played some games...listened to our battery operated radio....but then it was kind of boring. No TV, no computer, my cell phone battery was starting to die on me, and we were hungry! We settled on peanut butter sandwiches and some ham spread on bread. Not together...eww...that would be gross. Kids ate peanut butter I had the ham. We ate by the light of the Yankee candle burning on the kitchen table. The radio told us of the 50,000 residents of our county that had no power. At least we weren't alone in this blackout. We learned tree and power lines were down all over the place. Great. This was going to be a long night. No wonder people went to bed early back in the day. Without electricity there is not as much to do....especially when one doesn't have much lighting except candles. So, I called for an early bedtime and told the boys to force themselves to go to sleep. Easier said then done. You know black is very black. I didn't even have the light from the digital clock to keep me from tripping over the junk in my bedroom floor. I almost took a nosedive and if not for my almost superhuman agility (giggle,giggle) I would have cracked my face on the headboard of the bed. Yes...it was that dark. We are talking serious mole time here.
I was laying in the dark...wishing that the utility board would work a miracle when I hear my son from the next room.
"Mom?" Yes? " I can't sleep." Yes you can. Close your eyes and breathe slowly. "I can't make myself do that. It makes me not sleepy." You are sleepy, you just don't know it. "I don't think so." Listen, I'm the mom and I know things. Trust me...you'll eventually go to sleep.
Eventually, we all fell asleep...well except when I got woke up in the middle of the night because my dying cell phone started whining...I turned it off after looking at the time on the phone. Still no lights. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment