Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Just Want To Sit In The Closet

If this day continues like it has then I am in big trouble. It started at 3:55 am. Ace was barking like a maniac. I don't know what he was barking at but he woke me up. He barked continuously for the next 35 minutes. I know this because I was wide awake. Laying there in the dark. Listening to him. Ugh. Finally I fell back into a fitful sleep and woke at 7. I laid there awhile longer, but eventually got up. I stumbled out to the kitchen and had my devotional time. The message hit me squarely between the eyes. It was about not being stubborn and doing things my way, but waiting on the Lord. Okay, Lord. I get it. So, I fix my breakfast and start to get the kids up when I steal a glance at the family calendar in the kitchen. Oh, no! Bradley's dental appointment is at 9:30. (It was 8:30 at this point) I had intended to take my shower while the kids were eating breakfast. I guess not. I threw on some clothes, washed my face (but no makeup),brushed my teeth, and pulled my hair in a clip. I looked in the mirror and thought to myself, "I have become the stereotypical suburban mom." Rushing off to get my child to an appt., trying to do 50 things at once....Double Ugh. Before leaving I checked the other two kids goals and told them to work hard while I was gone with Bradley. I also made Scott some coffee before going out the door. Since we had just gotten in from our Ohio trip last night the van was parked in front of my car. I decided to just go ahead and take the van. The parking brake was on and I couldn't get it off. I pushed it. I jiggled it. I pulled at it. I had pushed the release but it was not cooperating. The clock was ticking and I knew we were going to be late getting to the dentist. Frustration was setting in...and it wasn't pretty. I started talking to the van. "Stupid van! Let go already!" " I'm going to win this battle--if I have to yank your parking brake pedal completely off!" Yes. Okay. When I get frustrated I sometimes start talking to inanimate objects. Crazy. I know. FINALLY, I pulled, pushed and jiggled it enough and it released! We were free. I sped out of the driveway and we got to the dentist 10 minutes late. Triple Ugh. Oh, well. The appointment itself went well for Bradley so that was good. The drive home was enjoyable. We chatted about his plans after high school. (though I must say being a skydiving instructor had me a little nervous) I just hope all these events this morning aren't an omen for the rest of the week.

P.S. Didn't I say this would happen? Last week I blogged about what a good week it had been. I jinxed myself. I hope I don't get struck by lightening this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment