Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Death of a Young Star

Yesterday Heath Ledger died. Now, a lot of people don't know him or haven't followed his career...but he was a young star in Hollywood. He died at 28. No one currently knows what caused his death, it might have been accidental or not, or maybe a physical problem no one knew about. The point is that he is dead. No matter what, it is sad. It doesn't matter that he was a star. He's dead. Death truly is the great equalizer. No one is ever promised tomorrow. None of us. It doesn't matter how much money he had or how popular he was. He's gone. I think most of us have a mistaken mindset that "these people" have everything...or at least all this earth has to offer. But when it comes to things like this, is that enough? No. It was heartbreaking to hear his father speak on the news. He had learned of his son's death on the TV of all places! (His family lives in Australia.) This young man has a 2 year old daughter that will grow up not knowing her father. I guess because I've been through the death of a spouse, and a parent these kind of stories get to me. I didn't know this man, I have no idea what his personal life was like, but I am still touched by this.

As a Christian I have the assurance of life after death. I am secure in what will happen to me at the moment that I cease to take a breath on this earth. My loved ones will know that I am with my Heavenly Father, who I've personally known and loved for the majority of my life. Let's be honest, money CAN buy a lot of happiness and security, but money CANNOT buy this relationship. I didn't have to be rich to buy a share, I didn't need to be beautiful to be accepted, nor did I have to network to find my way into this relationship...it was freely given. My Lord already paid the price. That is a difficult concept for a lot of people to understand....after all nothing is FREE. Well, that is true. I never said my salvation was free, I said it was freely given. I didn't pay the price. Christ did. That, my friend, is a peace that no amount of money in the world could ever buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment