The lights dim. The audience hushes. The curtain parts.
I stand on the stage, alone. The spotlight is on me.
And I wonder to myself if the people will like me? Do they want to hear what I have to say? Will they laugh with me? Will they cry? Will they see themselves in me? Will they care if I miss a line or will they smirk at my mistakes?
I clear my throat...and, I begin to speak.
Life is like a stage for all of us, isn't it? Some days we are the witty ones full of good one liners. Other days we are the tragic hero/heroine, who is able to withstand life's hardships. There are the days when playing the villain seems more the choice of character. Sometimes our play is a roller coaster ride of emotions. Sigh. We are all so complex.
On days when I feel the pressure to "perform" for others... When I try to be everything for everybody...I have to quietly remind myself that I should only be concerned about the audience of one.
One. The only one that really matters. God watches me....as I stand on the stage.
I matter to Him.
Not because of anything I did. Quite the contrary.To be honest, my performance can be lousy. I get nervous. I forget my lines. I feel the sweat trickle down my back. I weep at my lack of skill.
He loves me.
He really loves me. He said so.
I stand on the stage at the end of the performance. My eyes strain to see Him as the lights come up.
He stands and walks toward me.
All the difficult practice, the memorization, the ups and downs of life on the stage, all melt away. It's now just the two of us.
No other critiques or reviews matter except for ONE.
It is HIS voice I long to hear. It is HIS words that make my heart sing. It is HIM that I long to please.
His words resonant in my heart.
"Well done my good and faithful servant."
- Demystifying Stages (innermagicclub.wordpress.com)
- 12/31 NEO Results: One Final Curtain Call... (via Puroresu Representin') (carnagechronicles.wordpress.com)
- Lamp igniting curtain might be fire's cause (dispatch.com)
- My Day as an Extra on 'Country Strong' (theboot.com)
- Broadway's Season of Early Curtains (online.wsj.com)
- A Second Look At "True Grit" (filmexperience.blogspot.com)
- Mysa.com: Curtain rising on remodeled Lila Cockrell Theatre (mysanantonio.com)
- Nervous Wreck (socyberty.com)
- BREAKING: Stand on-stage behind Best Coast when she performs on Fallon (hipsterrunoff.com)
- Juan Williams: Sarah Palin "Can't Stand On The Intellectual Stage With Obama" (mediaite.com)
- Who Was Erik Erikson? (brainz.org)
- A Retiree Turns to Stand-Up (online.wsj.com)
- The Entrepreneur's Transition Curve: 5 Stages (prinyourpajamas.com)