The other day I pulled into the driveway and all the outside cats and dogs came running. It was cute. The thought crossed my mind, that it was comforting to have the family pets so happy to see me. For all their barking and climbing, meowing, and goofiness....dumped bowls of food on the deck, AND disappearing food bowls..... I love them.
The other day I took my son to the local Humane Society to pick up his new friend. I had been planning on getting him his own dog for some time. Well, really ever since our other dog, Buster, died several years ago. There was a doggie sized hole in our heart that needed to be filled. So, we decided that going to the Humane Society would be a good way to find a dog that needed a home as much as we needed a dog. (A shameless plug for the local humane societies. There is a lot of love there, just waiting to be taken home.) We researched the dogs online. We went there on Thursday. The people at the shelter were so kind and helpful. As we looked at dogs, my heart melted at least a million times. I wanted to take them all home. Alas, that wasn't going to be able to happen....so we chose.
His name is Lonnie. He is a 5 year old, terrier mix. Obviously, at some point this dog had been crate trained. He loves to take a bath, does well on a leash, and is a good "cuddler". He might not be the perfect dog---but, he is the perfect dog for us.
Pet ownership is a beautiful thing.
- Still No Charges in Texas Puppy Mill Cruelty Case (animals.change.org)
- Marion County dog shelter at capacity (bendbulletin.com)
- Union County humane society seeks bigger home (dispatch.com)
- 60 pet stores support dog adoptions (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Seattle-area pet stores pledge not to sell puppies; adoption event Sunday (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Saturday Survey: Your Dog - Parade Material? (doggies.com)
- N.J. woman still jailed over dogs' conditions (philly.com)