Friday, August 22, 2008

No Dingos, Just Coyotes

Do you remember years ago the story about the woman in Australia that said, " a dingo stole my baby!" I don't know that the truth ever came out about that....but for a long while the media talked about dingos (wild dogs in Australia). Hmmm.....with that in mind.........
Well, yesterday I read an article in our local newspaper about our coyote population here in Knoxville, Tennessee. Now I don't know about you but I always thought about coyotes being in the west and southwest. You know, baying at the moon and all. I didn't think of them lurking around our city. Sure enough they are not only here, but they are flourishing in urban America. There was a story of a woman in a subdivision not far from my house. She had two Pekingnese dogs. She made the mistake of letting them out in her back yard. When she came out to check on them, um.......she found the remains of one of them on her deck and saw a coyote absconding with the other one. She threw something at the coyote to make him drop the dog, but alas, coyotes are fast creatures and he evidently was hungry and wanted a little Peking duck, uh, I mean dog. Some have been spotted near our local Walmart and others behind an apartment complex.
I did a little research on the coyote in Tennessee. The state wildlife site said that coyotes are now all over the country. They are thriving in urban areas. They prefer to eat fresh kill, but will scavenge in trash cans etc. if need be. They don't really like to be around humans (unless they are sick and acting erratically) but are sneaky and are not afraid to go after small pets if they are left outside. This gave me a start as one of our cats is an outdoor cat. I don't like to think of Salem as a tasty treat for some scavenging coyote. Who knew it would ever come to that?!
So, I've come to a decision. I'm calling up the ACME company to see if they have any anvils for sale. They always used to work for the Road Runner.

1 comment:

  1. Here where I live, coyotes are numerous. What astonished me was when I saw a racoon dead on the interstate. I didn't know there were racoons in southern California.......apparently there are. Peace, Mike.

    ReplyDelete