Monday, August 11, 2008

Getting Back Into The Swing Of Things

Now, my husband and I home school our three children so the whole "first day back to school" thing doesn't really effect us like it does other families...but it is a marker. School starts. Fall sports games begin. Friday night football. Saturday afternoon soccer. I usually take a moment at this time each year for personal evaluation. It's at this time, more then at New Years, when I do my reflection.
--This is the beginning of my second year "out". School is starting for the second time without me. As a former elementary special education teacher, I spent a good portion of my adult life as a formal teacher. I was literally in school from the time I started my own personal journey at age 5 until I resigned from my teaching gig at age 39. Whew! That's a lot of years in school. I enjoy being at home and love the freedom and flexibility that comes with schooling at home.....but yes, I do admit, I get a little nostalgic when I see the school buses driving around town and see the schools have come out of their summer slumber and now resemble buzzing bee hives. New backpacks, fresh boxes of Crayolas, and the latest school fashions.
Soccer Clinic is tonight. Hundreds of children between the ages of 5-14 will descend on the soccer field for their try outs. For me this is the beginning of Fall. I don't care that the temperature is still in the low 90's, the air is thick enough to cut, and I'm sweating enough to lose a good 10 lbs. in water weight. Doesn't matter. Soccer is starting! Before long I'll be chilled sitting on the bleachers. I'll need a jacket, and I will get myself a cup of hot chocolate to enjoy while watching the game.
It makes me think.....do you realize that Labor Day is just a few short weeks away? That Halloween is right around the corner....then we are in a fast slide towards Thanksgiving, and whoa(!) it's Christmas before we know it! This time of the year is, hands down, my most favorite. There is a lot going on and yes I do stay busy, but I enjoy all that Fall brings with it.
My Arbonne business will be taking off this Fall with the new Holiday Line coming out on September 1st. Having presentations will keep me busy too.....as I show people all the wonderful products that will make their Christmas extra special.
This year we have the added excitement of a presidential election. This might drive us all a little nutty before it's over with, but it is one more thing to think about this Fall. For me and my family there is also the whole packing to move into our new house--hopefully late November,maybe early December. Honestly, as I was mulling over the upcoming events in my life I had a human tendency to desire to just blink my eyes and wish that all the work was done and we were already in our new house. But you know what? I really don't want that. I want to savor my time. I don't want to wish my life away. Even though I know that the next several months will be a struggle with all that is going on---it will be a time of memories. Moments that I don't want to miss. So for now, I'm the soccer mom, chauffeur, home school teacher, packer, mover, wife, mom,and business woman. That's enough for now....and you know what? That's just perfect for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment