Thursday, August 21, 2008

Deadly Day At Central

I woke up this morning and checked the local online newspaper as I always do. I was saddened to see that one of my city's local high schools had a deadly shooting this morning shortly after school started.
Two young men in the school cafeteria commons got into a fight. One boy pulled a gun and shot the other boy in the chest. Now a 16 year old boy is dead and another in custody.
What is the matter with people? I feel like I ask that question a lot...Just a little over a month ago we had the church shooting, now this.
In most of these incidences the shooters are male. Now, I know that men tend to be more aggressive, testosterone and all, but why the extreme violence? Whatever happened to men "duking it out" when they had a beef with each other? Whatever happened to "let's take it outside"? At least then all the kids might have ended up with is a bloody nose or a black eye. I doubt anyone would have died. Not that I'm a fan of violent behavior, but if I had to choose between the two I'd go for the bloody nose over being dead.
Of course, kids aren't allowed to fight in school either....or they'll be suspended from school per the zero tolerance policy. The thing is that these kids need some sort of outlet or emotions become a pressure cooker just waiting to explode. Unfortunately, this explosion ended in a death.

No comments:

Post a Comment