Wednesday, June 1, 2011



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]Front porch[/caption]


Last night I was sitting on the front porch with my husband. Like many married couples, we were talking about everything and nothing in particular. I for one, was thankful that the sun was getting ready to slip under the horizon, making it much cooler than it had been earlier in the day. It was quiet in our little piece of the world, except for the sound of the birds chirping in the fields and an occasional vehicle driving down our country road.   I pondered the fact that life is much different for me now. I never thought that I'd be sitting on the front porch of a home in the country.

As a high school student, I couldn't wait to go away to college and "recreate" myself. As a college graduate I couldn't wait to start my new career and have my own place. As a teacher I couldn't wait to meet my new students and make a positive difference.  As a new wife I couldn't wait to spend time with my husband, creating our life together. As a young wife, I couldn't wait until we bought our own house for our family to make memories in. As a new mom, I couldn't wait to hold my son, love him, and be thrilled with each new step.

As a new widow, I couldn't wait for the sadness to end, and life to return to some sort of normal. As a single parent, I couldn't wait to cheer at soccer games, plan birthday parties and go on vacations out West. As a thirty-something, I couldn't wait for the opportunity to meet someone who would want to share life with me. As a newly remarried woman, I couldn't wait to figure out how this blended family would work.

Always waiting....

So much of life is spent waiting, isn't it? Your waiting might be, and probably is, different than my waiting. Life requires waiting.

Waiting for something new. Something different. Something better. Something comfortable. Something real. Something exciting.

Always waiting....

Waiting can bring new life, if I am patient. It has in the past...and it will again in the future.

This season of life has me both waiting and wondering. What will be next?

It is both scary and beautiful, all at the same time. On days when I am weary from worry, grieving from growing, pondering over patience, and just plain wondering, I remind myself that I am not the one in control. I never have been, and that is okay.

Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.  Isaiah 40:31  NIV

 

 

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment