Wednesday, June 15, 2011



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]A "What Would Jesus Do?" (WWJD) bracelet[/caption]


Was it the early 90's that everyone was sporting the "WWJD",  What Would Jesus Do, bracelets and other jewelry?  The letters, WWJD, were as much a fashion statement as they were a Christian slogan. That time has come and gone, and yet the question still lingers....

What WOULD Jesus do?

I find myself thinking about that a lot, lately. It isn't necessary for me to wear jewelry to have that question imprinted on my heart. How can I be more like Him? Not so that the world will notice, but so that HE will notice..... After all I, as a Christ follower, bear His name. Christian. Much like children who carry the name of their father, and are a reflection of him, so I am also a  reflection of Jesus Christ.

Even though my "mirror" is scratched and cracked, and in no way perfect...it can still reflect the Son, and be a light to a darkened world.

Matthew 25  (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

   37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

   40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ 

Hebrews 13:3 Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

James 2:16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?

Have I tried to be more like Jesus in my words, actions, and deeds? I don't need fame and fortune to be more like Him. I don't have to go to the jungles, or villages of the world to be more like Him. Jesus calls me to be more like Him in my daily life. My life as a wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend. The day to day sacrifices, or the words of encouragement, the holding of a hand, or the nourishing of a soul. With enough practice, being like Jesus can become a habit.

**********

I have to share this story with you, about a young man whose life on this earth was short, but a life that made a difference...because he chose to be more like Jesus. I didn't know this young man, didn't even know his name until last week. Until the day that he died. Kurt Wyman was the son of friends, of my in-laws. He was just twenty-four years old.  He was a deputy sheriff that was shot and killed at a domestic disturbance call. He was a former Marine that had done his tour in the Middle East. He was married to his wife, Lauren, father to a toddler son, and a newborn daughter... a daughter that breathed life, on the very same day that her father took his last breath. How sad. How tragic. It isn't supposed to be this way. He was the good guy...and yet now he is gone.

Thousands of people attended his funeral on Monday. The funeral was even televised and streamed online. It lasted for about three hours. As I said before, I never had the opportunity to know this young man during his life, and yet, I had the privilege of learning so much about him through his death. Time after time people would come to the podium to speak about Kurt, and time after time I heard people talk about this man's love for Jesus Christ. Not in a self righteous way, but in quiet acts of service to others, love of family and friends, honor in serving his country and community,and  joy in sharing goofiness and friendship with the teenagers in his church. I'd say that Kurt did not live a spectacular life,  he didn't live in the spotlight. He was a man that chose to live his life in a different way..... as a reflection. Choosing Jesus and choosing to reflect Jesus love to others around him.....and that made all the difference.

***********

What does your life reflect?



No comments:

Post a Comment