Saturday, October 18, 2008

Um...I think I'm lost.

Yesterday I took the kids to a corn maze. Oakes Farm has a huge corn maze each year. We've gone the past 3 years so now it has become sort of a tradition. There are two regular mazes and one scary "Trail of Doom" maze. Bradley wanted to go on that one, but I did not. Since I didn't want to go the other kids wouldn't go...so Bradley settled and just did the regular mazes with us. He wasn't brave enough to go on the Trail of Doom by himself! I wasn't brave enough, period!
Anyway, Kendrick and Bradley split up from Breanna and me. They took the first maze and we took the second one...each maze took us about an hour to get through. We covered nearly 5 miles by the time we were done. I call that my exercise for the day.
Now, you have to understand that I am a landmark kind of a girl. I took at things around me to get my bearings. That is not really possible in a cornfield, where the stalks are 9 feet high. One really can't see a whole lot... but more corn. Thank goodness that Breanna is more analytical and was trying to figure out the small hand map that we received. She was pretty good....and we only had to seriously back track a few times. Of course, by the time we got to the second maze it was dark and the moon wasn't out so you could hardly see your hand in front of your face much less a map. I did have my cell phone which we sort of used to see the map, but it wasn't all that much help in the big scheme of things. As it got darker I was getting a little creeped out. Anything could be in this thick corn. We were secluded out here in the middle of the country. I decided if anything jumped out at me from the corn, I'd break off a stalk and beat it to death. Hey people, your mind starts to play tricks on you!!
After roughly another hour we managed to walk out of the corn. Nothing had attacked us and we felt pretty good about the trek we had just completed.
Of course all this walking works up a hunger so I treated the kiddos to nachos and hot chocolates at the barn. While Breanna and I were waiting for our snacks, a skeleton zombie (VERY creepy! This guy was good!) walks up behind us. He stands there. He evidently "escaped" from the Trail of Doom. I didn't realize he was there at first. But then I turned around and there he was. I wish I would have been thinking on my feet. I would have turned around and said to him, "Hey, you look really familiar. Don't I know you? Didn't we go to college together?" Of course, that would have taken the wind out of his sails a little bit, but it would have been funny. He looked like something out of Tales from the Crypt. So, that was our adventure. A cool Fall evening in the country, in the corn, with hot chocolate and zombies. What more could a girl ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment