Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In His Own Words...

I know that many of my blogs have been political lately but, being only a week away from the presidential election I am not thinking of much else.

I want you to read an excerpt from Barak Obama's book, DREAMS FROM MY FATHER:A STORY OF RACE AND INHERITANCE. Barack Obama talks of his time at Occidental College in California. Here's a quote from pages 100 and 101:
To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully.The more politically active black students.The foreign students.The Chicanos.The Marxist Professors and the structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets.We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets.At night,in the dorms,we discussed neocolonialism,Franz Fanon,Eurocentrism,and patriarchy.When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake,we were resisting bourgeois society's stifling constraints.We weren't indifferent or careless or insecure.We were alienated."

Now, as I read the words, " I chose my friends carefully"  jumped out at me. If that was important enough for him to write, it obviously meant something to him.  So, this makes me wonder...if Mr. Obama is the type of disciplined man that chooses his friends carefully.....then why sit in a pew of a Pastor Wright for 20 years? Why have associations with a long list of people that have questionable character? Barak Obama strikes me as the type of man who knows EXACTLY what he is doing when he CHOOSES the people for his inner circle. I'm beginning to believe more and more that he CHOSE to overlook the histories of the people he spent time with. Not because he was ignorant of their histories, not because he even disagreed with thier views,  but because he used each of those people as a means to an end. Mr. Obama is obviously a well educated and driven man. It is my opinion that in his mind if he had to swim in the putrid pool with this long list of people in order to further his political ambitions then so be it.


1 comment: