Friday, November 23, 2007

It's all a part of the plan...

Scott and I have come to a conclusion. The house that we NEED is not any of the houses that we've been FINDING while on our house hunting adventure. I have scanned the internet and spoken with at least 4 different realtors. I have looked at houses until my eyes have crossed. We went on our trip to Ohio and looked at several houses. Nice houses but just not what we really need. So.....we got to thinking about building our own house.

Now keep in mind that this is just in the planning stages. We are going to need to buy land first. We have been looking into steel/metal buildings. Steel is strong, durable, and one doesn't have to worry about rotting or warping wood as the house ages. Metal buildings don't require painting or a roof that needs re-shingled. On the outside the building would be metal, but on the inside it would look like a "normal" house. We could get A LOT more space in this type of building then in a conventional style house for less money. That sounds like a deal to me.

When Scott first mentioned this idea I was a little unsure. Okay, I was skeptical....but I wasn't against it. I had a bunch of questions. Would the house look like a warehouse building? Would people driving by, mistake it for a metal barn? Then the idea quickly started to grow on me. Higher ceilings, much more room, larger spaces, storage areas......yet, we could put up walls inside the building and add all the "expected" house things inside and it could still be cozy. So now I'm excited about the possibilities.
We have also talked about making a small cabin for our family to live in for 6-7 months, on our property, while the house is being built. The cabin would be small, but we could do this for a short period of time. (especially, if I know I'll have a great deal of space in the near future!) After the house is built and we could move in, the cabin would then be used as a guest house. We could have friends and family visit with us in Ohio and yet they could still have their own space (think some privacy) while staying with us. That would be neat, huh?

There is so much to think about, and so much to be done. We realize this. I am sure that Scott and I will have many, many planning sessions over a good cup of coffee. Scott has already called and talked to a man in Clark county Ohio about zoning , just to get an idea. We've been to Home Depot to price materials for the cabin. It sure would be nice if we could have all "our ducks in a row" before spring so we could then get started. The dream is to be in our new "industrial-style" house by next Christmas. That would be so great! I'm sure there will be many blogs about all of this in the future. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment