Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Am Totally A Weather Geek

I get a little too excited over Storm Stories on The Weather Channel. I am fascinated by amateur footage of tornadoes. I dream of what it would be like to be a storm chaser. 'Cause I'm just crazy like that.

My husband and I were discussing the famous "tornado alley" the other day. I said, "living out in the flat lands of the mid-west might be a little scary during tornado season". My very practical husband replied with a shrug, "those people are used to tornado sirens, besides when tornadoes actually hit, it is usually a rather small area, as opposed to say, hurricanes."  He did not put a damper on my tornado conversation. "I bet they all have a good basement or at least a storm cellar." " They probably watch the sky. I wonder if it makes them nervous at all, to live in the dreaded tornado alley?" I suspect my husband thinks I have too much time on my hands and I dwell on tornadoes too much. Whatever. To each his own.

I dreamed about a big, huge, monster tornado the other night. I frequently have dreams about tornadoes. I'm just weird like that. Now, if one reads one of those dream interpretation books it would say that I must have a lot of unsettled business in my life, that I feel like things are out of control, thus the tornado dreams....yada...yada...yada.."  Well, duh. Of course life is unsettled. I'm 42 years old. Out in the country. Living with llamas. And corn. And soybeans. All around me. Wife to a my very own computer geek...um...I mean developer/programmer. Mother of three teenagers. Homeschooler. AND with very little good chocolate around. So, obviously life is unsettled.  Anyone could see that.

I have about a bazillion (or so) blog readers. I wish some of  my Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas,and North and South Dakotas readers would comment on my blog. Any stories to tell? Did you ever see a tornado? Do you have a storm cellar? Do you pay much attention to tornado sirens or are you just used to them? Just curious. It would make my day to hear from you. Come on, throw me a crumb. I know. I'm a total geek. I've embraced it.

A few weeks back my husband and I took some friends up to northwest Ohio. On the way back sirens started going off, as the sky became black and ominous. I was totally entranced. A couple weeks earlier a tornado had hit a small town in that part of Ohio, destroying much in its path. So, traveling this area with sirens going off, did make me a little nervous....but, in an adrenaline pumping sort of a way. I could so be a storm chaser. I'd be the one with the camera, taking footage of the approaching storm....the one that yells, "Move it! Move it! Move it! It's coming this way!" as we tear off down some back country road, tires spinning, and graveling spewing as we make our narrow escape. At least that is how it goes in my dream. Hey, don't make fun of me--or my obsession with all things stormy. By the way, I'm still waiting to see a cow flying by my window. Now that would be cool. Helen Hunt has nothing on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment