Friday, January 1, 2010

Reflections On This Past Year

Reflection Questions for 2009

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?

We moved into our new house in July. This is a house we built ourselves (well, and with a lot of help from contractors) .  Since we watched each step of the process it was exciting to be done and actually move in!

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?

My husband losing his job.  A job he had for almost 23 years.  With the loss of his job, I felt like my security had been pulled out from under me.  It is a scary situation to be in. Even though I've shed a lot of tears over my frustration with all this, I have also cried many times because I've seen God's provision for me and for my family.

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?

This is a really difficult question for me....because of the difficulty of this past year I've had to find the joy in the little things.  I now realize that is a lesson that I needed to learn. I really do enjoy the night sky at our new house. With no street lights to obscure the view....it takes my breath away! The sunsets....the fluffy clouds...the rural setting is very calming.

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?

My husband's  job loss most definitely. I had to go back to teaching in special education (right now long term subbing).  That was not part of my plan.  Once again I've learned that what I think of as MY security, MY plans are not always aligned with God's.

5. Pick three words to describe 2009.

Difficult. Exciting. Growth.

6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2009 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).

Difficult. Pressure. Growth.

7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2009 (again, without asking).

Difficult. Provision. Interesting.

8. What were the best books you read this year?

I've started so many books....I'm always reading. I don't know how many I've actually finished. It goes along with how this whole year has went for me. With the house building and job loss right in the midst of it---it has been chaotic.

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?

My family and friends. People praying for us...I have been so touched by the outpouring of love.

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?

Learning that there are things I just need to let go of.  Life does not always go as planned. Learning to depend on the Lord for my security. It's easy to say you trust the Lord when things are going well for you....but, when your world is thrown off its axis...when it no longer makes sense...that is when faith becomes much more real. Do I believe that the Lord is my provider? That He loves me and will never forsake me? That nothing can separate me from His love?  My answer is YES. I know these things. Has it been, and since I'm still in the middle of this lesson, does it continue to be painful and difficult on many days? Yes. I'd be lying if I said otherwise...but I KNOW that Jesus is right here with me. He's not leaving.


11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?

I've had to learn patience.

12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?

I've had to trust that God is my true provider. All I have is His anyway. My grip was too tight.

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?

I got back to walking 4.5 miles a day. (though here lately with the new subbing gig that is not happening as often. I miss it.)


14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?

Allowing  others to help me. This is difficult for both my husband and me. We've always been the ones helping others. It is strange to be the receiver rather than the giver.

15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?

I love to decorate and make the house cozy. I also enjoy baking. The family members have been the recipients of my "yumminess" in the kitchen. I want our home to be a place of refuge--and that when others visit us, they know that Jesus lives here.

16. What was your most challenging area of home management? Getting the kids to remain on a workable home school schedule.

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?

I don't know....I suppose I could say the time I spend on the computer, but really that is one of the things I find relaxing and fun so I don't see it as a waste.

18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?

Being the heart of the home. Doing things with family. Letting people know that I love them.

19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?

That the Lord is Jehovah-Jireh, my provider.

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2009 for you.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being convinced of what we do not see.

EVEN THOUGH I  DON'T KNOW THE PLAN...I STILL TRUST HIS HAND.

___

If you'd like to print this list, head to Simple Mom for a free PDF download.  And after evaluating these questions, head to the blog tomorrow to find questions to help you plan your goals for 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment