Sunday, December 27, 2009

Snow

As I sit here, lap top propped on my knees, I'm staring out the window near my bed. It is snowing. Actually it is coming down fairly quickly. It was gray this this afternoon when the family got home from church. When I was fixing lunch it was barely spitting snow. After lunch I was in the bedroom for just a few minutes and when I returned to the kitchen I saw a winter wonderland outside! How did that happen? And how did it happen so fast?

What is it about snow that is so lovely? The softness of it? The quiet stillness that the snow brings with it? The way that it blankets the ground and covers up the brown, winter ugly, ground? When it snows the outside becomes a fairy land....where everything seems crisp and still. The snow makes a bluish haze as the light of the day begins to wane.

Sure, I know snow can be a nuisance when one has to shovel it, or when one has to get out of the driveway after the snow plow has gone through and blocked you in. When the dogs pee on it and stain it yellow, or when it gets tracked inside to make puddles all over the laundry room floor....then it can be a pain. BUT, I'm not thinking about that now.  I'm choosing to ignore those things. So there.

Winter Morning Poem
by Ogden Nash

Winter is the king of showmen
Turning tree stumps into snow men
And houses into birthday cakes
And spreading sugar over lakes
Smooth and clean and frosty white
The world looks good enough to bite
That's the season to be young
Catching snowflakes on your tongue
Snow is snowy when it's snowing
I'm sorry it's slushy when it's going

1 comment:

  1. I love the snow, and yes there is something calming, still and soothing about it. :)

    ReplyDelete