Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Vintage Christmas

I just finished reading an interesting article on vintage wrapping paper. The lady writing the article is an artist. She started collecting the paper in the 1980's--and found quite the treasure trove through her own family members. The paper from the 40's, 50's and 60's is especially interesting. The paper can be used for art projects or if someone is really special they might get a gift wrapped in the special paper.  The cheery, simple patterns are a preserved memory of yesteryear. I enjoy that. There is something about the simplicity of the patterns and pictures that appeals to me. I was born in 1968 so I wasn't around in the 40's, 50's or most of the 60's...but I still enjoy the movies, decorations, and spirit of the holidays from that time period. I suppose I just have an old soul.

Some of the same pictures on the paper, mirror actual decorations from that time period. I do remember as a child, the Shiny Brite glass ornaments my mom had for us to decorate the tree with. ( I don't know for sure, but she probably bought them at Woolsworth.) Wow, if I knew then what I know now! Those glass ornaments are valuable now...for collectors, yes....but, much more valuable for the memories. My mom had some beautiful pink, icicle-like tree decorations that were her favorites. I wonder whatever happened to those? Also, I remember the little choir singers in red and white gowns. They were wax candles. (but mom never burned them....they were "for decoration only.") We had a nativity scene that was always a treat to unwrap each year.  One year baby Jesus' arm got broken, and I think a camel lost a leg. We just glued it back on. I suppose Mom could have gone out and bought a new nativity, but it wouldn't have been as good as the old one. One that had been loved on.  Mom, if you are reading this...whatever happened to that nativity? Do you still have it? Just curious. Just remembering.

1 comment:

  1. I have fond memories of our Christmas decor from my youth too--glued back together pieces and all!
    I am with you on the love of the 40', 50's and 60's decor. I was born in 1963 and I must have an old soul too!
    I found an EMPTY old Shiny Bright ornament box in perfect condition at the thrift shop and brought it to the counter. The person actually laughed at me when I said I wanted it. She thought I brought to her to throw away in the trash. She thought I was CRAZY!!! (I got it free) I love that box. Great memories of unpacking my Grandma's ornaments!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete