Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Cool, New Friends

I''m addicted. It's pretty bad. If I don't get my "dose" everyday I'm miserable. Of course you know I'm talking about social media. You did know that right? RIGHT??!!!! I love my Twitter. My Facebook. My blogging. Classmates.com......and those are just my top ones. I know there are some people out there that would say how time consuming, impersonal, blah...blah...blah..... They would be wrong!

This year I have reconnected with some of the most interesting people around. I've touched base with friends I had in high school and college. It's so funny how the years melt away and I can just pick up a relationship as if we just talked in the halls of our high school the day before.  Some of my friends were dorm mates in college. Oh the memories! I have always loved to hear people's stories. I like finding out what happened to them over the past 20+ years. (Yes, I'm not ashamed to admit that I graduated from high school  in '86.  We rocked!) I would never be able to do this if it weren't for the social media sites.

I love to meet new people and make new friends. I've made some friends this past year that live all over the United States. If it weren't for the social media sites I would have never had the privilege of meeting these interesting ladies. I realize we haven't met in person--but, that doesn't stop me from reading their thoughts, laughing out loud, or learning from their experiences.

I love my friend, Amy's blog.  She is so creative and artistic. I go to her blog to be inspired. I pour over her pictures of vintage items. I see things I remember from my own childhood....and am transported back in time. I am able to relate to her love of all things old. Items with character--and a story. I enjoy her creativity with paper art. (Oh my can this lady make some beautiful paper snowflakes!) Her love of  family and friends is so evident in her blogging. I love her blog because it is comforting.  Thank you Amy!

I made a new friend this year from the Lone Star State. Robin is a single mom who has learned over the years how to save money----or at least not spend it! She not only shares great tips on her blog about how to live on the cheap, but she does it with a great sense of humor. She also shares some of her town's police blotter entries. I spend a good amount of time laughing out loud when reading those. Stupid people are indeed many....and they walk among us. haha!!! The thing I enjoy about Robin is that she proves that a person can enjoy life and not have to be up to her eyeballs in debt to have fun. Way to go Robin!

A brand new blogging/Twitter/Facebook friend is Sandy. I relax when I read her blog entries because she makes me feel like I'm not alone.  When I first happened onto her blog I was amazed at all the things we have in common.  Our lives are very similar. It's obvious when reading her blog, and Twitter updates that she is a mom who loves her family. It's good to know that I am not the only one dealing with airsoft gun bb's, teenage boys that have bottomless pits for stomachs, a dislike of laundry, teaching special education, and a genuine love for the Lord.  Sandy, thanks for being real!

So, yes I love my social media sites.  They've allowed me to "meet" some great people that I might not otherwise have had the opportunity to cross paths with.....and for that I am thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Thanks for mentioning me in the post. I'm flattered!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete