Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Country Living ---Autumn Style

I just received my October issue of Country Living magazine. I just had to share a great article that they had included in this issue. The editors of the magazine realize that "country" is a state of mind. So they decided to ask their readers, "what do you think of when you hear the words country living"? The answers were interesting and I enjoyed reading them. As I sat down at the kitchen table sipping my coffee I found myself wholeheartedly agreeing with the people who embodied what country spirit really is......
"It's about having the freedom to embrace life at your own pace."
"The chance to spend an afternoon on the front porch, relaxing on the hammock."
"It's where you go for peace and quiet."
"Fireflies, swimming holes, and leisurely Sunday suppers."
"Country living is a big,beautiful barn on the outskirts of town."
"A roaring fire, a comfortable chair, and a good book." ( My personal favorite!)
"Finding happiness in life's simple pleasures."
"It is about putting down roots and being part of a community."
"Serving fresh eggs my kids just gathered from our chicken coop with a stack of buttermilk pancakes."
"Wide open spaces and the scent of freshly mowed grass."
"Rumbling down a dirt road in an old pickup truck in my favorite vintage dress."
"Sitting in my kitchen with a friend, drinking coffee and talking, neither of us realizing the whole morning has passed."
"Giving thanks for the bounty of nature."
"Working in the garden, dirt under my nails, with the sun on my face."
"Peacefulness."
"Country living mean honoring family traditions, celebrating the seasons, and having the good sense to appreciate the gifts we've been given.
These heart warming sentiments came from the down home folks all across our great land. From Oregon to New York, Ohio to Arizona, and New Jersey to Minnesota.

What do YOU think of when you think of country living? I'll start..........
Country to me is no city lights to disturb the beauty of the night sky. Country is making friends with new people, but already feeling like you've known them forever. Country is land and space to enjoy. Country is community.

1 comment:

  1. Country living is riding your lawn mower to visit your neighbor!

    Country living is helping the local volunteer firemen pull the hoses out because you're among the first on the scene and you can't just stand and watch until the other men get there.

    Country living is watching that the older neighbor lady puts her flag out every morning so you know she's okay today and hasn't fallen somewhere waiting for someone to help her.

    Country living is keeping a school bell next to the door so you can ring it for your kids to come home - and having all the neighbors know it's your bell that's ringing!

    ReplyDelete