Thursday, February 7, 2008

Their Mouths Sparkled

I love going to the orthodontist. Not for me, mind you, but with my son. He's the one who has to endure 2 or 3 years of braces on his teeth. I just get to watch the kids in the waiting room. We went again today for an appointment. There was a young pre-teen there with his dad. He was there for the consultation. (that is when they check out his teeth and tell the parent how much it's going to take to make them straight and beautiful.) I watched him as he fidgeted. I knowingly smiled having had my son in that exact same spot just a few months ago. Last time we were at the office an older teen boy came out into the waiting room. All of us looked up as he entered. He had the biggest grin on his face. That was the day he had his braces taken off. The smile said it all. His dad clapped him on the back and said, "son, let me see those teeth." Mom had just walked in and hugged him and said, "wow. Your teeth are beautiful." He just grinned from ear to ear. For me it was one of those "parent" moments when no matter about other things...you can relate at that moment. It was just a sweet moment. I was happy for the boy. Yes, I even have those kinds of "ah,ha" moments at the orthodontist. All of us banded together (yes, pun intended) there in the waiting room. Waiting for our children. Waiting for beautiful teeth. Waiting for the big smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment