Monday, February 18, 2008

It's The Middle That Counts

I'm going out to lunch today with one of my very dearest friends. We've been friends since we were college freshmen in 1986. Man, 1986 was a good year. I was 18 and thought I knew everything. Life was good. If I only knew then what I know now...... how life is unpredictable, things happen, nothing is really under one's control, and sometimes you just have to muddle through until you figure it out. I guess I'm glad that I didn't know that back then. It would have scared me. I needed some time. I'm glad I've had the experiences I've had over the years, actually. (though at the time certain things happened I probably didn't feel that way!) Now, coming up on my 4oth birthday I feel like a much wiser and far more mature woman then I was back in '86. I've learned a lot about determination, patience, fear, overcoming obstacles , joys and sorrows. I like to think I'm much more insightful than I used to be.

I wonder what I'll think 20 years from now? When I'm getting ready to turn 60. I hope I can look back and say that I've grown even more. That I didn't stop learning and that I'm wiser than I was at 40. Life is interesting that way. Things happen, and at the time the event(s) is going on we wonder how in the world we are going to fix it, survive it , cry or laugh about it, or forget about this particular thing. But we do and we are better for it. Sometimes growing can be painful......but it is usually worth it in the long run.

One of my favorite movie quotes is this......"Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. You need to remember that when you find yourself at the beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up... and it will too."

No comments:

Post a Comment