Thursday, April 2, 2009

Watching HGTV AGAIN!

Yes, I'm on my lunch break and am watching HGTV. I told you it was an addiction.
It is really interesting watching people decorate their homes, work on curb appeal, or figure out which house to buy. I've always had a thing about houses....you can ask my family. Growing up I used to say things when driving by huge new cookie cutter houses...things like, "This house is not friendly. It does not say Hi,Welcome! It says, I'm cold and stand offish. Okay, so maybe I was the only one who could actually "hear" the house talking. Or maybe I am just the house whisperer." haha.
Other houses are sunny and friendly and say, Come on in and visit for awhile! From the time you set foot on the property you feel at home....you know what I'm talking about. That has been my dream...crazy, huh? I've always wanted that friendly house. A house that loves visitors and has room for everyone. A house that lets neighbors know they can drop by for a cold iced tea and some good conversation, a house that is filled with laughter and most of all----LOVE. (and yes, plenty of goofiness)
Building a new house in Ohio has been quite a feat let me tell you! We still aren't quite finished....this house building has been more of an endurance marathon then a sprint, that is for sure! All that said, I am glad that my husband and I have had the opportunity to make this house the way we want it. Everything from the warm mahogany and etched glass doors that throw beautiful colored prisms on the floor, to the long deck that runs the entire length of one side of the house. I envision us grilling out on the deck, swinging on the porch swing, or lounging on the hammock with a good book. Our crafted cabinetry is going to be a joy to look at, even more so knowing the talented Amish men that made it. Some might think that concrete floors are cold and uninviting....and that can be the case, but the warm browns that Scott and I chose for our floor make one think of the floors of a beautiful Tuscan villa, and the radiant heat will keep our toes warm and toasty. I love fabrics and layering color. We have tall windows and so I will have long curtains that cover the windows and yet also gently brush the floor. The rooms will be filled with the colors of golds and greens with cherry word work throughout. The reddish hint in the woods will be brought out by the terracotta highlights of our floor.
When we actually move to our new house I will be sure to post pictures, so you can check out for yourself if you think our house says, " Hey, I really like you. Why don't you come and visit sometime?"

No comments:

Post a Comment