Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Profound Happiness

I picked up a magazine while I was at Walmart today. It is called: Faith For Your Journey--Life Beautiful.
I think it is a rather new magazine. Anyway, because it is so close to Mother's Day they had an article on mothers. I found one young mothers words very profound...and inspiring. The young mother, named Laura, said this, "I don't want my children to think there is no answer, because there is an Answer. There is a God who loves them and never leaves them adrift.... It's a very humbling experience to know that your goal in raising a child isn't that they do well or even that they're happy but that they are a joy to God."
Wow. I read that. Then I read it again.I let that sink in. So many times I've thought that I want my children to do well. To be successful in school. In social situations. In life. To be happy. But really what is that? Happiness is an elusive emotion. Sure there are days when we as individuals are "happy". Things are going well. For that moment we are satisfied....but it never lasts. It can't. We all live in an imperfect world. I think that is why what this young woman had to say struck such a chord with me.
Sure, I have dreams for all my children....but more then anything, I too want my children to be a joy to God. I want them to grow up realizing that their Lord values them. That their decisions should be made in the light of what God thinks. Mom won't always be there...but God will never leave them nor forsake them. He truly is the friend that they can always count on.
My prayer is not that my children will be successful in the eyes of the world...for the world's definition of success is fleeting and fickle. I pray that they will be successful in the eyes of the Lord. That one day when they meet Him face to face they will hear the words, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment