Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Don't Say The "G-Word"

My mom sent me an article this morning that I found very interesting. The gist is that a chaplain in Boca Raton, Florida is no longer able to say the word "God" at staff meetings/assemblies anymore. She is one of the chaplains at the hospice facility. Long story short she resigned over this. I give her kudos for standing up for what she believes in and not turning her back on the God she serves.
Does anyone else think that is ridiculous that a chaplain is forbidden to use the name of God? I guess it is not PC to mention the name of God as the holy, sacred name that it is. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad or offensive if it was used only to swear or curse. That is so sad.
What has become (or is becoming) of our society where people have become so "fragile" that they cannot even hear the name of God without being offended? A spokesperson said that some people sitting in the staff meeting didn't even believe in God and were uncomfortable with the use of that name. Just maybe that feeling of being "uncomfortable" is their heart trying to tell them something.
How many times have all of us sat in a meeting and someone said something we disagreed with? Or didn't really believe? I just let it pass and ignored it. I didn't get all cry baby over it. Are you getting the picture of how sick and tired I am of the PC police censoring everything these days?

HERE IS MY TAKE: It is true the name of God is offensive to many. The name of Jesus even more so. Christianity is an exclusive religion in some ways. We believe that anyone can come to Christ. Race, color, age, male, female, doesn't matter. BUT we believe that Jesus is the ONLY way to the Father. There are NOT many paths to get to God. Jesus said, "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life. No one comes to the Father but by ME. If you knew me, you would know my Father as well." (John 14:6-7) That is what makes it exclusive. That is what makes Christianity different from the other religions of the world.
I can no more deny the name of my Lord and Savior then I could deny who I am. He has changed my life. He is not just a name. He is a person. It is a relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment