Monday, March 16, 2009

Don't Destroy Them!

As many of you who know me, or have been following me for any length of time, know that I am a full fledged, unapologetic bibliophile. A lover of books, both old and new. This past weekend I carefully packed books. Part of my packing entailed boxing up my collection of children's books. All the books I bought for my son when he was very young, some I even bought for him before he was born! I love children's books with their sweet words and beautiful illustrations. I could never put these books in a yard sale or give to a used book store. These beautiful hard back books are filled with Winnie-the -Pooh, The Hungry Caterpillar, and Choco who longed to find his mommy. I plan on saving these books to read to my grandchildren one day.
Having said all this you can imagine my horror when I read this article. All my beautiful, old books are being outlawed! No more Uncle Wiggly, or The Velveteen Rabbit. Older versions of Alice In Wonderland or The Children's Bible Story Book are on the hit list. In fact any child's book published before 1985 can possibly be destroyed!
This just makes me sick....the history that will be thrown out saddens me. I know that people who don't really have a love of books probably don't understand my upset. I just think that this new law under CPSIA is so restrictive. Yes, there might be traces of lead in the paints that they used (before 1985) to use in illustrations...but it is such a small amount that it is ridiculous to even think about. Have any of you heard of any child, EVER getting sick from story book illustrations???

No comments:

Post a Comment