Monday, December 1, 2008

Once Upon A Time...

"A man is known by the books he reads."

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." --Cicero

"What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though." ---J.D Salinger

"An ordinary man can surround himself with books...and thence forward have at least one place in the world in which it is possible to be happy." ---Augustine Birrell

Those of you that are book enthusiasts....and life long readers will understand. I love my books. I read them, and many times I reread them. In some of my books I've highlighted passages that I don't want to forget. Yes, I admit sometimes when I don't have a bookmark I dog ear my books. (don't tell any librarians) I have books on everything. My interests have varied over the years and my books show that. Funny books, sad books, passionate books, old books and thought provoking books. To me the spoken word is powerful, but oh how much more powerful is the written word!  When words are written down they can be read over and over again.

Books take me to places I have never been, through time to places I've never known. My mind reads the details and creates wonderful word pictures. That is why books are almost always better then any movie ever made. It is difficult for even the best director to create characters and places that were first created in the imagination. They continue to try.

Call me crazy. Say I have a screw loose. I don't care.  I am most excited about the library in our soon to be finished new house. I've always wanted a library. Walls of  shelves, a big squishy chair (the kind one can curl up in) a cozy rug on the floor for laying on while pouring over big picture books. A quiet place in an otherwise loud and noisy house. My sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment