Friday, April 8, 2011

For The Love Of Words



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="240" caption="Image by stargardener via Flickr"]open book[/caption]


I admit it.

There is no doubt about it.

I can't help it.

There's no changing it.

I am a lover of words

and a confirmed bibliophile.

I so enjoy the written word. It is a part of me. I intently listen to the spoken word. It challenges me. Choosing just the right word to say...it is important to me. Words have power.

Today I woke up to gray skies and rain. The perfect day for reading, after I finish the days chores, of course. There is nothing better, than to settle into my favorite chair, with a blanket a warm drink and a good book.

I look around my house now and I see shelved books, stacked books, books on the night stand, books on the floor, cookbooks near my stove in the kitchen, antique books on display in the dining room. Sigh.

Jan Karon's Mitford Beside Companion (If I could live in any imaginary town...it would be Mitford, N.C)

The Inspirational Writings of C.S. Lewis (Great writer of apologetics)

That's My Teenage Son--How Moms Can Influence Their Boys To Become Good Men by Rick Johnson (My greatest desire is to raise godly children)

The Vintage Remedies Guide to Real Food by Jessie Hawkins (Learning to live healthier)

Rereading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts (A book that has changed my perspective and taught me what eucharisteo truly means)

My Bible. The book most important. The book that feeds me. The words from THE WORD. Life giving. Life altering. The pages are worn, filled with pen marks and colors of various highlighters. I've underlined, circled, taken notes, and added exclamation points. The words themselves that never change, but do change me.




***In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (NIVJohn 1:1 ***

 

2 comments:

  1. I also love words - writing and reading them! And those books that you mentioned -- really good. I studied C.S. Lewis during my senior year of high school and have liked him every since.

    ReplyDelete