Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Take Me Home Country Roads

There is something deeply satisfying about living in the country. I grew up in the country but, had a seventeen year sabbatical in urban living. Now, don't get me wrong...I enjoyed my time in the city. The convenience of having everything within five minutes of me was so nice. Choosing from a plethora of restaurants was  ultra-convenient.  Yet, the peacefulness of the country lured me back.

Yesterday I stood in the side yard, looking out over the land. I was reminded how nice it is to not be smack up against one's neighbors. There is a certain freedom when living out "in the middle of nowhere". There is something to be said for being able to walk down the road looking at views that could be on a picture postcard. Bright red barns in the distance, llamas across the road, crooked fence posts securing the property lines. Being able to breathe.

My neighbors in and around the small village, that I live outside of, are the best. Really. I am happy we picked this little piece of the country to call home.

"Take me home country roads....to the place I belong." They might be John Denver's words but, they ring true in my heart too.

No comments:

Post a Comment