Monday, March 15, 2010

Leaving It In His Hands

I am a mom. Maybe you are too. If that is the case then maybe you already "get it".

The truth is half the time I mess up. The other half I only sort of know what I'm doing. If I can stay at least one step in front of my kids then I call it a good day.  I remember the day my son was born. The day I saw him for the first time. The day that my heart changed forever. I was never the same after that. The old country saying, "When you have a child you know what it is to wear your heart outside of your body", really strikes home.  Being a step mom isn't any easier. How the puzzle pieces all fit together is a constant challenge. Being their "mom number two" is hard work. Work only a mother could do:) I go through a lot of days wondering if anything I've said is really making a difference? Are my kids hearing me? Really? Do they know how much I love them? Do they believe it?

My kids are teenagers. It occurred to me the other day that my time with them is waning. In not so many years they will be adults. No longer under their father's and my roof. No longer under our discipline. No longer with us each day. Will the things I  told them have made a difference?  As a mother, I can hope they have. I long for my children to grow up and live God-centered lives. Lives of integrity and good character. And yes....I hope that they are happy....though happiness is such a fleeting thing most of the time. I don't want them to always be searching for "happiness", because sometimes one just needs to do the right thing and stay the course before happiness finds him (or her).

As a mom, I long for my children to grow in their relationship with their Heavenly Father. For that relationship to be their solid rock. When life is a storm all around them.....they will know where to go, where their safe harbor is.

As much as I love my children and want the best for them.....my love can not even begin to touch the love of  their Heavenly Father. He loves them more than I can even imagine. I can't think of a better place for them to be....then in their Father's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment