Saturday, February 13, 2010

I Love You



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="187" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]Kleenex logo[/caption]


I .....LOVE......YOU.

Three powerful words.

Words that, if spoken with a sincere heart, can make a  huge difference for both the one speaking the words and the one receiving them.

What does it really mean to say "I love you" ?

Is it flowers and candy and jewelery? Is it hearts and cards? Is it a romantic dinner for two? Sure, don't get me wrong, those things are all great. I enjoy beautiful roses, anything coated in chocolate and sparkling rings. I'm a total romantic when it comes to mushy cards and "chick flick" movies. Please pass the Kleenex. I really do love happy endings. They make me smile.

Sure, like I said, those things are great once in a while.....but real love is so much more.

Love is....my husband's smile at me in the morning....even when I have bed head and haven't brushed my teeth yet.

Love is....me getting up early to fix coffee for my husband because I know he likes it.

Love is....hugging my kids and getting hugged in return.....having teens that still love to love their parents.

Love is....my husband shoveling snow, or warming up the van for me before I go to work.

Love is....me doing laundry and cooking meals and cleaning the house for my family. Making home comfortable and warm.

Love is....knowing my husband values me. My opinion counts. He enjoys hanging out with me.

Love is....telling my husband that I think he is the best problem solver around.

Love is....believing my children are awesome and knowing that they will each leave their own special imprint on this world. Letting them know that my world is a better place because they are in it:)

Love is....a card from my mom filled with words of encouragement.

Love is....family members that know my faults and still think I am worthy of their love.

Love is all these things....AND MORE.

Love is also commitment---even when you want to give up. It is holding your tongue when you really believe your opinion is the RIGHT ONE. Love is friendship. Love is choosing to overlook the imperfections and instead, learning to concentrate on the positives. Love is empathy. It is kindness and then treating others how you'd like to be treated. True love has a lot to do with forgiveness and starting over. Love is about second chances and "do-overs".  Love is holding a hand---and sometimes delicately holding a heart. Love is trustworthy and strong. Sometimes love has to be down right tough. Love can even hurt on occasion.

Above all love is a choice.

The greatest love is that of God for each of us. In John 3:16, we are told that "God  SO LOVED the world that HE GAVE His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."  Jesus chose to take our place because He loves us. Now that, my friend, is what REAL love is all about. We can love others because He chose to first love us.

1 comment:

  1. Sandy@ Jesus and Dark ChocolateFebruary 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM

    Good words Dawn! Love is a commitment, thanks for posting this. Such a good reminder, I sometimes loose that focus. :)

    ReplyDelete