Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hula Hooping



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Image via Wikipedia"]IMG_6278[/caption]


I am about to confess something. Something very profound. I cannot believe I'm actually letting you in on this. I'm determined to "hoop" even though I really stink at it. Maybe I should say that I stink at it right now. My plan is to become a hula hoop aficionado. Don't laugh. I said it was the plan people. This might take some serious practice...and dare I say work....but, I'm not one to turn down a challenge. Okay. So, maybe I am, but that is totally beside the point.

Several years ago I was a gym rat. I did circuit training at a women's gym and then power-walked 4 miles a day on most days. Yes. I did. I was in shape. Well, at least the shape that I happen to have, was fit. Since getting remarried and thus having a rather hectic and busy life, my gym routine.....how should I say this?......has seen it's better days.  Okay, so its pretty much become null and void. There. Now are you happy? Today obviously is confession day.

So anyway, I read this article recently in one of my myriad number of magazines. It was about how hula hooping has become so popular. It works one's core..yada...yada...yada. I decided to pull out my hula hoop that I bought several years ago, from the gym I previously was a devout member of. This is a hard core hula hoop. None of that mamby pamby toy store stuff for me. This torture device weighs in at 5 lbs. and is sturdy to say the least. This hoop causes some serious bruising when it is first used. And that is when one uses it correctly. I hate to think about the damage that would be done if used improperly. I know all this because the gym owner (from aforementioned gym) had to mention this to people who dared to hoop. Probably some sort of liability thing. Go figure. I guess if you constantly slam a 5 lb. weight into your waist/hips it could possibly leave some bruising. Hey, no pain. No gain. Don't feel badly about it. The body gets used to it and you eventually don't look like your hips went a round in the ring.

I'm actually in a house now, that has space so I can fling the hoop around my middle without knocking down everything in the near vicinity. Just sayin'. My goal is to, "Wittle down the middle". Sort of catchy, isn't it?  So, if you happen to hear my family saying anything about my latest endeavor, ignore them. They are just jealous. After all if I want to hula hoop in the kitchen while fixing dinner...that is my business.

5 comments:

  1. Marisa Tomei hula hoops in her living room, granted she has quite a bit of room in there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9BEc4xIDjM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi--Congrats on starting your hoop journey. However, I must point something out to you: that 5 pound "torture" hoop is not going to be the best tool for you! I have been hooping for over a year (performing, teaching, learning, etc)...and also making my own. You are right that kids' toy store hoops are useless, but those weighted, bumpy fitness hoops are not good either. Your hoop should not weigh more than 2-3 lbs MAX. To find a more appropriate hoop, go to a site like hoopgirl.com, or to hooping.org for directions on making your own. There is a whole world of hooping DVDS, retreats, workshops, and fun out there for you. But ditch that Medieval hoop! Check out my site if you need more info!!!!
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy@ Jesus and Dark ChocolateFebruary 26, 2010 at 4:05 AM

    Uh, yea, your are gonna be sore! Just sayin! But as you said no pain no gain. Or I like this one too...."Losers complain, Winners Train!" :)
    Go for it hoop girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So...how's the hula hooping going? ;-)

    ReplyDelete