Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Great Equalizer

Death truly is the great equalizer.
That fact hit home this week.
This past week Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson all died. Their celebrity and fame could not save them from old age, heart conditions, cancer, overdoses... or from themselves. All the popularity in the world doesn't matter in those last moments. It doesn't matter how much money is in the bank, whether people want your autograph, or if your albums or poster sales set world records. Death still comes.
Many of these celebrities seemed so unhappy, even when they had the world at their feet...even when they had all the things that the world deems as "success".
It makes many people uncomfortable to talk about death...to think about their own death is scary. Asking about their relationship with the Lord and where they will spend eternity is something people shy away from discussing.
"Oh, I don't know if I even believe in the 'Big Guy Upstairs'."
"I'm a good person, surely God will want me in Heaven."
"I'll take care of getting right with God later. Right now I'm having to much fun to worry about it."
"I don't want to be told what I CAN'T do. I'm living life for me."
"Show me the money!"

Not to be overtly scary, but I've just been pondering these celebrity deaths this week. Wondering where they are spending their eternity. Fame and fortune don't matter in this case....only a real relationship with the Lord counts. All of us will have to come face to face with the Lord one day. It is not "if"...it is only "when". The thing about it is, none of us knows the future....so that meeting could be today or tomorrow. People don't wake up in the morning saying, "Hey, I think I'm going to die today." So, there isn't usually a lot of preparation in most cases. That is why it is important to be ready. Be honest with yourself. Really honest. If your day were today, would you be ready? Would you be meeting a dear friend and savior who welcomes you home? Or a complete stranger who you never bothered to get to know, because of the choices you made?

Matthew 16:26
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment