Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Forever, Erma

My husband gave me some of Erma Bombeck's books for Mother's Day. I think that is the perfect gift for the occasion. I have been a fan of her's since I was a little girl. She has always cracked me up. She took the mundane tasks of life and turned them into something to smile about...or to just plain laugh out loud over. The book Forever, Erma is a compilation of her newspaper articles from January 1965 when she started her first column to April 1996, the month she died. She had a long run...and a good run. She made people laugh at the ordinary things of life. I believe that if she was alive today she would say that life really can be funny. That it is okay to laugh at ourselves....and that time is indeed precious so make sure to enjoy it.

Some favorite quotes from my favorite funny woman:

*My theory on housework is, if the item doesn't multiply, smell, catch fire, or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one else cares. Why should you?

*Onion rings in the car cushions do not improve with time.

*Thanks to my mother, not a single cardboard box has found its way back into society. We receive gifts in boxes from stores that went out of business twenty years ago.


*When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me".

Erma Bombeck

1 comment:

  1. Those are great! I love it....if it doesn't block the refrigerator door...

    ReplyDelete